Sunday 26 April 2009

Animal Speedometer Beats Dyscalculia or Number Blindness


As Fast As I Can [by Thomas De Santis]

An excellent and practical idea by Thomas De Santis. The condition known as dyscalculia (number blindness) is more common than dyslexia (word blindness). Recent research suggests that between 3 and 6 per cent of children suffer from dyscalculia, compared to between 2.5 and 4.3 per cent of children who suffer from dyslexia. The main location in the brain accounting for mathematical ability seems to be the right parietal lobe. Studies using electromagnetic pulses show that temporary stunning of the right parietal lobe significantly impairs mathematical abilities in people who are normally good at maths.

Selected Sources:
'Number blindness' more common than dyslexia (The Independent)
'Number blindness' brain area found (Metro Newspaper)

Animal Speedometer Beats Dyscalculia or Number Blindness

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a dyscalculic, I wanted to reply to these. Though, bear in mind, we are all different.

One glance at that clock gives me an instant panic attack. I don't think I could figure out what time it is even if I really tried to figure it out. Though my visuospatial ability is practically nonexistent. I've only met one or two dyscalculics (and I socialize with a group of at least 20) that could cope with this. Though if one were able to memorize the hand positions, the numbers would become completely unnecessary. I wonder, if someone could read this clock, why not just use a numeral clock or ignore the numbers?

The animals idea is cute, I have a hard time reading our speedometer, however I don't know that I could process quickly enough that "45" on the sign means turkey--dyscalculics tend to have a low processing speed. Plus if I were ever to get pulled over and be asked, "Do you know how fast you were going?" I have to imagine I'd be arrested for DUI if I said, "ummm... rabbit?" In order to use this I'd actually have to have the numbers and their placement memorized without even having them in front of me, which I think might actually be harder than just reading it.

Anonymous said...

Also, just so you know, dyscalculia and number blindness are NOT the same thing whatsoever. Number blindness is but one symptom that SOME dyscalculics have. I am not number blind at all and I am considered to have at least a moderate case. (Moderate here meaning a 7th grade achievement level despite being a junior in college.)